Friday, March 18, 2011

{Fake and Bake Brownie Trifle} how very retro chic of you!

Britny ... is a Mommy of 2, wife to 1 and lover of God. Her days are filled with homeschooling her monkeys, making a home on a budget and bringing joy to mankind in the form of sweet treats! She owns a small boutique bakery, Brit’s Bakes, which gives her a fun and creative outlet from Mommyland. A self-proclaimed “foodie” she enjoys reading food blogs, cook books and searching for the best local eats. She is also an occasional runner (which is necessary when there is so much good food in the world) and enjoys setting goals and running road races. When not covered in flour and drowning in laundry, multiplication tables and coupon clipping...you will find her sipping on a vanilla latte with her BFF, who also happens to be her husband of (almost) 11 years.





True Story. I love making people smile with food - it is a great joy to me. There is just something about having a table full of friends or strangers with plates full of goodness. It warms my heart, it is just the way God wired me. Fact is, I have come along way honey! In my early days of marriage most everything started in box or can form and of course there was always pizza delivery! My Mom was and is a great cook, I just never took the time to glean from her kitchen wisdom....my bad. At some point in my adult life, I had enough and began reading cook books, food blogs, and watching cooking shows..... something just clicked and I was bitten with the “foodie” bug! Although it took my VERY picky eater husband years to get on board, I tell you, he too has upgraded to “foodie” status! Fast forward and there are two little people in my life that need to be fed and quite honestly just want to eat what they like.(something they got from my former picky husband..at least that is what I like to tell myself ;)) I still love to experiment with new recipes and flavors, but these days, I keep things more simple and adjust according to tastes and such.(As all mommies know, we just want the kids to eat the food!!) I think the biggest obstacles to preparing fab culinary creations for us mommies, wives & occasional entertainers are....Number one EXHAUSTION....and number two, its partner in crime, TIME. Truth be told there is only room for one Martha in this world and our kids probably wouldn’t appreciate us slaving all day to serve a lamb ragu with a dessert of lemon souffle......what are those anyways?!? I am going to let you in on a little secret and hand you the keys to your kitchen in baby steps. Whether you would like to entertain some friends, impress your Mother-in-Law, or by golly you just need to earn that MOTY award back---I have a recipe for you! I want you to get over the ideal that you have to bake from scratch to be the queen of your kitchen. I am going to ask you to embrace the dough boy and use him for your gain---nobody has to know that you are fake-and-baking.....and.......I won’t tell!!



{Fake and Bake Brownie Trifle} (how very retro chic of you!)



What you need: 


  • 1 box Family Size brownie mix (Chocolate Fudge by the Dough Boy=best flavor IMHO) according to box direction: 2 eggs, 1/4 oil, 1/2 cup of water 

  • 1 pint of Whipping Cream 

  • Powdered Sugar ( to taste up to 1/2 cup) 

  • 14 ounce Caramel Candies - Unwrapped 

  • 1- 5 ounce can Evaporated Milk 

  • TV time for the kids (optional) 

  • An Americano ( to drink while you work, also optional, but highly recommended) 

  • Pre-heat oven According to Brownie package 

  • Mix According to Package 

  • Bake According to Package 



While the Brownies are cooling to room temperature: 







  • Pour pint of whipping Cream into mixing bowl. 

  • Using hand mixer or standing mixer whip the cream for several minutes until you have the consistency of whipped cream ( 5 minutes or so- to speed up this process, place mixing bowl/utensils in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to mixing) 

  • Add in Powdered Sugar 2 Tablespoons at a time and taste until sweet to your liking and set aside. 

  • Take your unwrapped caramels and place in a small sauce pan with the evaporated milk. 

  • Melt the caramels with evaporated milk over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and combined. Let cool until just warm to the touch. 

  • While the caramel is cooling, cut up your brownies into chunks( there is no right way to do this, just hack away, you can’t mess this up!) 

  • Place several brownie chunks in the bottom of a individual size bowl (you can also make a giant trifle in a large bowl if you prefer) 

  • Next plop( yes this is a technical term) some whipped cream on top of the brownie chunks. 

  • Lastly, drizzle a spoonful caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream. 

  • Repeat layers one more time. 

Martha eat your heart out!


FYI -
If you really want to fake it, by all means, buy some ready made whipped cream and caramel topping...your secret is safe with me....but seriously, try the recipe - YOU CAN DO IT!



*For you Organic Mamas- You can do this too! Pick up your favorite Organic brownie mix & Organic Whipping Cream - you can even use Organic Berries in place of the Caramel Sauce... YUM!

*For you G-Free Mamas - There are even G-free brownie mix options out there!! Layer Brownie chunks with Yummy coconut ice cream and top with berries..Voila! 




The possibilities are endless....Now, go forth and bake!!!


You can find Brit's Bakes on facebook at www.facebook.com/britsbakes she also has a blog at: www.pocketfulofmoments.blogspot.com (it will be even more amazing when she actually posts something:) hehe






What's keeps you from trying new things in the kitchen?Comment here and "Like" Brit's Bakes on facebook and You can win a dozen scones from  Brit's Bakes.... I'm seriously thinking about creating an alter ego with her own facebook account so I can win:) AND the good news is that scones can be shipped so you don't have to be local to win! So comment away girls:)




4 comments:

Tim and Autney Lucore said...

I can't wait to try those yummy looking brownies!!! I was wondering though, are your kids very involved in your LOVE of baking? Do they share your hearts desire?

Brit said...

They always want and love to help! I just pick and choose what they get to help with :)

Christina said...

Wish I was home so I could experience your yummy goodness...:( My kiddos love brownies and the coconut ice cream would be to die for! Keep em' coming, would love to see more foodie ideas in the future!

Secret Mommy said...

I am so making my husband and son make me this dessert for my birthday! I know they can do it. :) Thanks!

Post a Comment