Monday, September 19, 2011

Extreme Makeover's real hero's...nope, it's not the actors...guess again...Yep! It's the locals!!! Now it's time to support THEM!!!

     I got to witness a miracle this week.  It had nothing to do with a house built in 5 days (although that is unbelievable!), or the famous people milling around with us commoners, it wasn't about the logistics of what it takes to organize 3000 people or the fact that the McPails are blessed more than there are words with this gift of a new home.  What blew me away this week was the fact that hundreds, even thousands of "local" people came together and donated time, money and "things" to build an Extreme Makeover home.  I have been contemplating what would move so many people to give to this cause, to help people that they don't even know...what I am overwhelmed by is  the fact that people do it because they want to be involved, and make something huge happen for the simple reason of wanting to help.  (aside from the ones that were there just to see TY :) ) "OOOOOO" you say..."your deep!  Nice observation dummy".  So it may not be a huge revolution but it is a cool thing to contemplate...You see, I saw Rush from Ark built, hustling around every time I was there, the ladies from Terra Firma were there one night when I left and 2:00 AM and they were already there working away when I came back the next morning.  Four  seasons (and other nurseries) created a landscape fit for a castle, while Food for Less donated crates of water and Gatorade for the workers.  Gates furniture donated so much furniture its unreal (Ill be there next time I need something!!!)  Almost all of the building materials were donated, the vehicles that were used to drive around, and the trailers were loaned, local book stores and toys stores helped out...and honestly there are so many more businesses that donated that it would take days to list!!!  And they all did it just to help!!!  CRAZY!!  One more thing I have to mention...I put a call out to a few women who I knew would pull through and donate an item of something they sell to a silent action to benefit the family build fund...before I knew it, almost 100 "moms" had posted things to auction from their businesses!!!  I am still blown away by the fact that a group of awesome women raised around $7000!!!!  So stinking cool!!!



     I had a chance to get involved in rounding up a few last minute donation needs and what I realized is that it was totally easy to find local business people that were glad to help, but a big corporation??  Their hands are tied.  I was discouraged every time I called a big chain store and got the same answer about the fact that it would have to go to corporate and...bla, bla, bla...but the minute I got a local business owner on the phone, they were excited to help!  This has left such an impression on me that I am giving myself a challenge...



For the next month, I am only going to shop either small local businesses, or from actual people selling their own stuff online, or in crafters markets, and definitely I'm going to support "mom based businesses"!...I've always been a huge fan of locally owned grocery stores, and growers markets, but this month I'm stepping up my commitment to saving my grocery shopping for those places.  
(one thing...in case the paparazzi catches me, I will still buy my peanut butter and bread from 
cost-co  because mama would go broke not buying those in serious bulk!)  


* I already started by buying some new running shoes a local store for a half marathon that is this weekend that Lindsay roped me into and is now trying to get out of (did I just tell everyone that???)
* I recently had fun shopping all mom owned business for baby shower gifts (I have to give a little more than just our own Earth Monkey gear)
* and we are working on utilizing people here to help with the next items to be added to our Earth Monkey line.  


So who is in this with me????  Up for the challenge???  Im not asking you to give up every big store that you love, (I might even die without a trip through Target!) I'm just challenging us all to think about how we can help our own communities, and our own hard working business owners...Let me know if you are in!  




And as a thank you...we are giving you %10 off 

of the entire line of "pumpkin" print.  
Shop Earth Monkeys now...and enter PUMPKIN at checkout!
and let us know what other mom business you like to shop from!!!

2 comments:

Lizz said...

That's such a good idea! Now I think i'm going to have to do it too.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your BLOG!!! You are dead on...BUY LOCAL!
Thank you. Dottie J

Post a Comment