Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jami Ronda shares..."Why I LOVE Temple Grandin"



"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind,not with it." 
 Henry Ford 


     I've wanted to write an ode to Ms. Grandin for a long time, and when she was recently  in our area to light up historic Jacksonville, Oregon blue for autism awareness, I was totally inspired!  I had a date with hubby at a fundraiser that night, so I missed Temple's visit, but it gave me such great joy to know she was part of an amazing project/show for Lindsay and her men. I'm so happy that Extreme Makeover Home Edition will be shining the blue light of awareness on autism for the McPhail's 2 hour EMHE reveal special!



     Having Temple Grandin in the "neighborhood" made me even more excited to share the reasons why I love this woman so much! I got to see her last year at a Future Horizons Autism seminar, where she and Tony Attwood (the leading Asperger's expert in the world) spoke to us all. Being in a hall with so many people who "get it" and hearing from the most knowledgeable and gifted speakers on the topic of ASD and Asperger's...it was a special kind of heaven. Like a blissful classroom. (Never before could I put those 2 words in a sentence!) It was the best couple of days I've had since we got our son's autism diagnosis.



     When I first discovered Temple a couple of years ago and watched some of her teaching videos on You Tube, I was blown away. I didn't know of anyone who'd accomplished so much in the face of adversity and has taught so much to countless others.   If you are not familiar with Temples story, check out the short You Tube video below where 
Claire Danes did a great job bringing her to life on the big screen for us in the movie "Temple Grandin".




So, here's my list of "why I love Temple"


1. We have a couple things in common: I was surprised when she described how she thinks in pictures, like Google Images, her brain pulls up pictures for things brought up in conversations. I sat there thinking, yes, I do that all the time. As she continued to share I realized that not everyone does that. After that talk, I had to start wondering about my other idiosyncrasies and wonder if I am on the spectrum.


Another thing in common is that I do not mind-and sort of love the smell of a farm, livestock, and stalls.



2. She designs and embroiders her own shirts: That impresses me to no end!



3. Her mother is a hero in her life and incredibly strong: After reading her book titled, "A Thorn in My Pocket", a book written from her mothers perspective, I understood far more about why Temple is the amazing woman she is. The movie left her father out and for good reason; he was not supportive and often agreed with the doctors about institutionalizing Temple. Her mother had to battle constantly for her daughter, often against her own husband.



4. She was a little averse to rules while in college: and for fun tried to see if she could make a master key for her campus (including her dean's office)...she did. I think she made it out of an aluminum can. She had rule-breaking behavior that gives me a lot of hope as we raise an "Aspie" with similar tendencies.



5. She finished college, something I did not do: She had so many obstacles and never let the struggle stop her. Her perseverance and drive (the gift part of her autism) are admirable and she lets us see that there can be good parts to being on the spectrum. She has said, if she could snap her fingers and take away the autism, she wouldn't. I wish I could say the same thing. I'd give anything, to include the use of my legs, if I could take this struggle away from my child.



6. Her life gives me such hope: She is living, breathing inspiration. I think of her on my hard days, when I just want to hide and cry. Thinking of her makes me remember that I can keep putting one foot in front of the other.



7. She is the mightiest advocate for those on the spectrum and is an excellent teacher to layman and professionals. Her life is a gift to us, for without her, I do not think we'd be where we are now in terms of the awareness of autism and it's impact on children. She is full of answers and suggestions and she is living it. She doesn't say..."here are the challenges, wow, autism sure bites"! She has written books filled with valuable advice for parents and teachers. One of the best is The Way I See It.  It's full of short and very helpful chapters on topics we (and our kids) deal with every day.



8. She advocated for herself before she ever advocated for our sons and daughters: I'm still learning to advocate for myself, as a neurotypical! (A status that can be argued on any given day.) Her life has so much to teach me.



9. She goes outside her comfort zone for the good of others:  People who do that inspire me so much I seriously get warm fuzzies when I see it.











10. She knows and fully accepts who she is: 
Her life is the life of a hero and I will always be grateful to her and to her mother for being the amazing women they are and being models of how to succeed on both sides of the autism factor!



Jami... is a mom to teenaged quadruplets and wife to her best friend, her knight in dented armor. Her "almost 15" year old crew consists of one girly tomboy and 3 strapping young men, one who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 7th grade. Her passion for God/teens/sports is a perfect combination for her position as a Fellowship of Christian Athletes weekly Huddle Leader.





Check out Jami's Blog at www.momsflightschool.wordpress.com and don't miss out on her fabulous Bling Mugs on FB!!!