Friday, March 4, 2011

A pillow project with only 6 easy steps!!! A lot of "Chic" a little "Shabby"

Mindy is the mother of two children, a wife and creator of all that is beautiful~along with her business of making any piece of unloved furniture amazing, she inspires others to try their hand at adding character to their own homes. Her blog "Pretty in Paint" is a fun and inspiring look into her world.



     I always walk through stores like Pier1 or even Target and all the cute pillows are like 20-30 dollars!!!  Who can afford that when you know they are gonna get ruined by the kids or the dog or my husband, plus you need at least 2 and $40 is an investment!!. Recently I have converted my house into a Shabby chic kindof style. The best part of this is, it can be shabby!!!  As in not perfect, a little lopsided, mix and matched!!!

     Which means I can sew and my lines don't have to be totally straight and it wont matter!!! How great is that.  I'm a fast sewer (because I have no time or patience to take my time), I don't have time to cut straight lines or use those annoying pins.. I just wing it! I'm not kidding!! If you look really close at the lines on the pillow they are not straight. and it doesnt matter. yay! But recently after walking through Pier1 I found these napkins for $2.97 each and a bag of Polly-fill for $3.00 so for a total of about $7.00 I made this fabulous shabby white pillow.  So for that price if it only lasts a few months, I'm fine with that!!            

                                                       And here is how you can do it!



Step 1:  Wash and dry the napkins then iron them












Step 2: Lay out the napkins good side out on both sides. 
I wanted the cute trim on the outside to show, 
so I sewed them on the good sides out 

instead of the conventional inside out












Step 3: Sew the entire 3 edges of the napkin fabric, 
leaving about an inch for the trim to not be sewn
*Leave about 6 inches unsewn so you can stuff your pillow


(Let me remind you I'm not a great sewer at all!!! I have a cheap wal-mart sewing machine that I went in 1/2's with, with my mom!! So If I can do it, anyone can do it!)




Step 4: Stuff your pillow with poly-fil, 
just shove fist fulls inside until its fluffy enough for you




Step 5: Hold together the 6" opening and sew it shut!
Thats it!!


We are so jazzed that Mindy is giving away this adorable pillow that she showed us how to make!  Simply "like" her Pretty in Paint FB page and of course Earth Monkeys too then come back and "comment" below...a winner will be chosen at random!  Oh Oh Pick me!!!!



And one last thing...please take a quick second and click the "about 2011" link to the right and vote for Earth Monkeys...it's easy and we need every vote!  Thanks friends!!!!

1 comments:

loopers79 said...

This is such a cute project. It's hard to buy cute home decorations these days for families on a budget. I may have to pull out the sewing machine and do some sewing. Thanks for the inspiration!

-DeLanie

Post a Comment