Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Autism Is Our Fourth Child... Wanting more kids in the midst of chaos!! (no I'm not smoking crack!)

 "Autism is our forth child" has been our mantra since our third son Crew was born. With two special needs kids we knew the dream of having 4 kids would have to die as we poured our life, love and energy into therapy for Sawyer and Thatcher and learn how to live with three very high maintenance boys. But now that they are getting older and doing phenomenally well... that sneaky little yearning for another baby has popped up and slapped me across the face.



Some of you probably know (because I plastered it all over facebook) that I got pregnant this past September. It was an accident, but I was so incredibly excited. Family and friends who heard the news... not so much. They knew my plate was full, and I think some were even a little frustrated with us for being "irresponsible". I didn't care though, even knowing how miserable my pregnancies are, knowing that bed rest and big blistery grossness could take over my body at any time (seriously that's how bad my pregnancies are) knowing I was prolonging the years of lack of sleep and sure to pack on another 60 pounds (cause that's how I roll) I was still so excited.  I had geared up for the crazy and was ready for another big eyed, chubby poop factory!! I lost the pregnancy in October and while I had to pretend to be fine and relieved (because it really wasn't an ideal situation), I was pretty heartbroken. It wasn't my first miscarriage, and the last one was a lot farther along and about 100 x's more complicated... so I felt like I had to just shrug it off... we'd been though this before, it was no big deal... only it kind of was to me.



Since then I haven't been able to shake the baby bug. I was ooing and ahhing over something cute and baby the other day and Gena said, "Shut-up, I'm going to punch you in the face." I should share Gena is smack dab in the middle of terrible two's with her little guys and has absolutely no desire for another one at this point. AND she's right ... she knows first hand the drama and all out pandemonium that goes on around here!! Anyway, everywhere I turn I see cute baby clothes... or someone is about to pop pregnant and I feel a tinge of jealousy...



A lot of you may be screaming at your computer right now wanting to remind me of past posts talking about the craziness and mayhem of my life and not even being able to go to the bathroom by myself. It's weird, even as I type my kids are going nuts and fighting and hitting... and I still want another one. My mom said she wanted another baby another my older sister got pregnant the first time, I don't know if I can't wait that long for these feelings to go away.






from joyfolie.com
The bottom line is, my husband doesn't even remotely feel the same way... so I'm pretty sure there is no hope of owning these spectacular little girl's boots. (you can stop hyperventilating now mom:) 





I'm just wondering why I feel this way and when these feeling will go away. Am I just being stubborn like usual and want one because no one in the world thinks I should continue to procreate??? Do I just really love little girls clothing and want to play dress up??? Or would a fourth child really complete our little family???



Are you done having kids??? If so how did you know AND if you are done do you ever question your decision... mama needs help.. or there may be a fourth baby picture to add to this set...

















13 comments:

Valorie said...

I knew I was done after my second son was born. I already had a step daughter and another son, only 15 months old at the time. I felt like our family was complete then because I was so overwhelmed with "2 under 2", but my decision was also based on medical factors. My doctor's recommendation sealed the deal for me. Only my husband has had a twinge of the baby fever since, and that was only once.

Secret Mommy said...

What adorable babies you make! I can see why you'd want to continue. :) I just blogged about this a day or two ago, too. My husband and I have 2 very high energy boys and we definitely want more. But I'll be 39 in a month and I wonder how much longer my body can take being pregnant, nursing, not sleeping, etc. (I've been constantly nursing for almost 3 years since there was no gap between my guys...and I've been preggo much of the last 3 years it seems...) :) I personally think that when that yearning is still there that it might mean there's still a baby waiting to join your family. And maybe it will happen unexpectedly as last time, but will come fully to fruition when it's "right." Whatever happens, my heart is with you! :)

Anonymous said...

Linds....I love to read your blogs. First let me say, your kids are beautiful! Second, I agree with "Lady". Also, I think some things are out of our hands and when the time is right the little angel will find it's way to you. If not, then you have to stick to the old adage "God will not give us more than we can handle". Weather it's 3, 4 or 12, you're an amazing mom. Buy the boots anyway, they're just too stinking cute! You can hang them from your rear view mirror!
Love you, Jen S.

Earth Monkey Moms said...

I am not a jerk!...Gena LOL

Anonymous said...

I have 2 little ones, and I am done. I knew it was time to quit because of 2 difficult pregnancies with a lot of stress, both physically and mentally, plus having 2 c-sections. I knew my body could not handle another one, and my emotions could not cope. It is hard to think about not having another, so I try to enjoy every stage with my younger one, and not get too frustrated with the problems that arise. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But the most important thing is listening to God, because what is right for one family may not be right for another.

Lucia alonso said...

Well I feel you when you say having kids with special needs is difficult, tricky, and just plain crazyness. I was 7 months pregnant when Alex was diagnosed and believe when I say if I had know Alex was going to be diagnosed I would have never gotten pregnant again. Well at least not until I found out autism was preventable and treatable. Julie is now 18 months old and Alex is 4yrs old and on his way to recovery. He is miles and miles from where he was at the time of his diagnosis, and thinking about another child does creep into my head also. But I will not go there unless he complety recovers, which I have no doubts that he will! So I do understand when you say you want another one, I am sure you have the same questions as I do, I always think of what Alex would be like if autism didn't enter our lives(uninvited), I always wonder what his voice will be like, I always wonder what another son of mine would be like, but I think for me 2 is more than enough. Thinking about another child is ok I guess but actually having one more is not an option for us. I want to focus on Alex's recovery for now, and time will tell I guess, if god has another little one in our future he ir she will be welcome. As of now, no more for me.

I hope you find peace within yourself, I am sure with time your heart will heal, god will help you achieve this. Hang in there, you will make it. You're an autism mom, you are made of armor, don't you forget.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered adoption? You said your pregnancies are really hard on you, and I am under the impression you are wishing for a GIRL? :) There are so many babies out there who need homes... If you have the means to raise another child, why not bring one in to your family that already needs you? And you can pick a girl!!! (For the record, I would totally be all for you getting pregnant again, I just hadn't heard anyone mention adoption yet, and who knows maybe your husband would be more into the idea?) ALSO, by adopting, you would have a new "voice" to share with other mothers, that of an adopted parent... A lot of people would read your blog and share their stories as well, the same way it seems like you do such a great job of being a voice for parents of autistic children. Just a thought!

Prindle said...

Soo very sorry to here about loosing babies. That has to be so hard.
Go ahead and cry and be sad about it. As for wanting more when you know for sure your done you will know. If you don't feel done UR NOT DONE:))) I hope you get eceryhing you want. Btw we want 6. 2 down 4 to go!

Kristin said...

I have 3 kids now...5, 2 and 10 months. The older 2 are boys and when our second was 10 months old I found out (to my surprise) I was pregnant with #3. We wanted another child but I wasn't ready yet to be pregnant for the "last time" or to have my last baby. Baby #3 turned out to be a girl (which is so amazing after 2 boys!) so now everyone assumes we're "done" because we have at least one of each...but I really want another one! It really has nothing to do with what gender all my kids are, I just really kinda want 4 kids, which everybody (including my husband!) thinks is crazy. Apparently 3 kids is the socially acceptable number of children to have ;-) I've had 3 c-sections, so if I had another one I'd have my tubes tied during the surgery and if we decided to quit with 3 my husband would have a vasectomy. I'm 29 now and really have no idea whether we'll have another one or not, but I'm not ready to permanently put the idea to rest at this point...I guess I'm just not ready to be DONE with that phase of my life yet!

Earth Monkey Moms said...

I'm right there with you Kristin!! I know in my brain that I should be done... but my heart isn't there yet... unfortunately my husband's is... guess we'll just have to see who wins this one:):) Thanks for commenting:)

Ang said...

We were done with 4! Our precious Karlee Jo...but when she was 2 I felt the need to still be mommy to more kiddo's! Well we were done having our own(dad was fixed up!) So we decided to become foster parents...not just to help kids but the hopfully help families at the same time! Well God had different ideas and our first placement...a baby boy....has just never gone home! Titus John became a permenant addition on Nov. 30th! and you know what's weird...I am ok with being done now...I will still be a major advocate for foster care and foster adoptions...but I'm ok with what we have for now! 2 boys and 3 girls...looks so crazy when I type it...but the crazy..I would not trade it for anything! So listen to your heart and maybe the options for getting a girl are different!

Anonymous said...

Growing up I always said I wanted 2 kids. We now have 3 girls, almost 6, 3, and 10 months. Our baby was born with a very rare brain condition causing hydrocephaly and could cause her to be mute, have trouble swallowing, and have seizures starting at 6 yrs. I thought I was done having kids before she was born. I gave all my maternity clothes away and all of her newborn clothes. Lately I have been thinking I would like a 4th. I'm scared of what people might think-like doesn't she have enough on her hands, won't the baby need more attention??? My husband is kinda up for it. My pregnancies are tough too but I have a love/hate relationship with that whole process. I feel ya!! It's in our hearts!!

Anonymous said...

My darlings are 12,10 and 8....I have been wanting another since my youngest was 18 mon. My husband was dead set against it...and has yet to change his mind - at times I think it because our oldest is a special needs child. A tiny piece of my heart is broken - I realize I am truly blessed with the 3 I have but as I approach my 40th birthday, my heart still aches. I always thought I'd have 4...I try to explain it to people - that at times I feel like I've 'lost' a baby because I feel someone is still missing from my family. I'm not sure I'll every get over it...do what you can - from one momma to another

Post a Comment