Monday, July 25, 2011

Lessons we have learned from our children...from patience to pooping..

I dont necessarily like to hear myself talk...although those closest to me may have just spit their coffee out their noses from laughter at that statement.  But it's true...I have figured a few things out in my 39 years, but I have a long ways to go!  I am amazed at the lessons that my kids teach me every day, IF I pay attention!  I got to thinking the other day about all of the crazy cool things I have learned from them. I really think that because of their simple lives (aka: I do everything for them!) that they actually have an amazing set of priorities...mainly play, laugh, eat, relax and of course do what we can to drive mommy crazy!  So back to the "hearing myself talk part"...Today, I filled my post with things YOU have learned from your children and added a few of mine at the end.  But today, if you are gonna read this, you have to add your lessons from your children under the comments below (although no one will hunt you down if you dont!)

So here we go...I asked 
"what lessons have you learned from your children?


Mindy: little things like cata-pitters and moths and rolly pollys are really awesome.. those little things mean so much to them, and now me too :)



Katie: Realizing that every moment is a teaching moment... which means also recognizing that all moments need not be "teaching moments". Sometimes, we just need to let things go and move on.



Stacie: Choosing your battles-realizing that dressing up like a princess (or whatever) almost daily is just a phase yet so very important to her little being and expressing herself, how she sees herself right now!



Tiffany: My 4yr old niece has taught me that with the right amount of confidence you can totally pull off a pink tutu, green tights and snow boots in the spring! (I especially love this one!)



Lisa: Every day is a new day, wipe the slate clean each evening at bedtime....having 2 kids with Asperger's/Bipolar Disorder and one with Down Syndrome I have to start each day fresh. LOL!



Jennifer: That sometimes it's ok to let them have something like microwave popcorn or ice cream for breakfast.....as long as mommy gets to have some too ;)


Emilie: Tonights lesson from Parker is entitled, Why I won't eat fish. "Number one: Fish eat worms. Number two: People eat fish. But since I don't like to eat worms, I won't eat fish.". That was one of those, choose your battle moments. I chose to let the logic of my 5 year old win tonight. :)



Lina:it's definetly ok to be silly wherever you are cause to my kids nothing is embarrasing so why should it embarass me!! they are constantly reminding me to laugh, be silly, have fun and just enjoy life.....i need to look through their eyes more often!:)



Shauna: That when your tummy hurts, it is full and forcing more food down "just doesn't make sense....(she went on to explain how when she was young they ate too much because they didn't know when there would be more, so eating everything was essential)

Erin: Make every moment special with your kids... it could be the last time you see each other! Even with the discipline and lessons to be learned everyday make them with love!



Tiffany: Everything doesn't have to be perfect! The stickers on the toys can be sideways, you can color a picture all one color, etc, etc.. Cause that's what makes HIM happy and that's really all that matters. (Im still working on this one! )



Dagmar: The "Silver Rule" - "don't go in outer space unless you're an astronaut!" courtesy of #1Son, age 4 (this is super important! :) )



Me...1. Sleeping in is overrated (I think).  I have learned that the most beautiful time of the day is early in the morning, of course, after coffee, it's even better!



2. Rocks, shells, and flowers can actually be very beautiful if you take time to inspect them closely! 


3. Even checking the mailbox can be an adventure!  Its amazing what treasures you can find along the way.  Even bugs can be super cool!
4.  It's ok to poop in public bathrooms!  Hey when you gotta go, you gotta go!  


5.  It's totally possible to have a knock down, drag out fight with someone one moment then forgive and love them like crazy the next!


So thats it for us, but I know you have a ton more you are just dying to add...please do in the comment section below...and as always, can you share us please!  Muchas Gracious!