Wednesday, August 17, 2011

{Board of Blessings} A flowery kick in the teeth...



Last week on our way home from the water slides (2.5 hours away mind you) the unthinkable happened... dah dah dah... the DVD player broke! (insert horror movie sound effect here) It was tragic, mostly because what followed were hours of "don't touch me, moo-oom he's touching me" ... "don't wook at me... mooo-oom he's wooking at me!""Wap" (that was the sound of monkey #1 hitting monkey#2 with a coloring book) My mom took one look at the crazed mommy expression in my eyes and said... "Remember Costco?" Ugh why is that woman always right?!?!?!?!


So I was in Costco a couple of years ago right after the boys were diagnosed. The checker was talking about how she hates going on road trips with her kids because all they do is fight. I dramatically and quite embarrassingly burst out into uncontrollable tears and totally had a meltdown and told her I prayed for the day my boys would fight because at that time they didn't even recognize each other existed... it's that costco moment that reminds me how blessed I am to have kids that can talk and fight and articulate... and know that they have brothers... so, yes, sibling rivalry can be a blessing!





Mindy from Pretty in Paint made this little doozie!
I saw this idea of a blessings board on another blog somewhere and I knew I had to do it. Usually sweet flowery things make me want to throw up a little in my mouth, but this little crafty poo is a sweet kick in the teeth.  So... I am writing a blessing on  post-its and sticking them to a board in my room ... so every time I want to have a pity party or complain... wham... it can kick me in the teeth and say, "Hey selfish, annoying, whiny lady... look at all of the amazing things you have in your life." Today I posted 7 to the board and here they are:

  1. {Sibling Rivalry...} I guess I'll I just need to repeat costco, costco, costco... over and over in my head  so I'm not tempted to pull a Thelma & Louise during what seems to be NEVER-ENDING-FIGHTING! (costco)

  2. {School Clothes...} My amazing big sister took all three boys shopping today and got them shoes and pants and shirts and socks... who does that?? My big sister!! That's who!:) I love you Abbers!

  3. {Great Friends...} I swear I have the best friends ever... they love me for me and put up with my non-stop verbal vomit... they are some pretty darn amazing women (and some guys too:)) and I am so beyond blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people!

  4. {COFFEE!!!} Seriously... this needs no explanation!

  5. {God's Amazing Grace...} woops maybe I should have put this first... I was a little caught up in my costco moment... But He is so good... all of the time...

  6. {The right words, when I need them} My hubby just has a way with words... this is what he texted me the other night while I pulled a mini Thelma & Louise at Costco (well I guess it was just a Thelma because Louise was at the coast) ... "You are beautiful... this is the life we GET to live." reminding me that we are so incredibly blessed to be parents to these special boys... even on the rough days. 

  7. {An Amazing Family...} How amazing is it to have a HUGE and by HUGE I mean GINOURMOUS group of relatives that we would actual choose as friends even if we weren't related. We have the best family and don't take any of them for granted for even one second. 

OK that's my list for the day.. but mama's gunna keep adding to it... because I know it will help me be a better mom and wife and heck just a better all around person. Being able to focus on the blessing that we have and even using that knowledge to bless others is what makes life worth living... it's what brings joy to heart ache and healing to hurt... and I want that!


{What is your biggest blessing today?}





New To The EMM Blog?
Just in case you're new around here I thought I'd introduce myself.... I'm the scattered crazy Earth Monkey Mom Lindsay:) And this is my family. My kids never have clean faces, my house is always dirty and I always have 3-15 loads of unfolded laundry sitting on my couch. I post here on Wednesdays ... Gena the "with it" organized but still whacky EMM  posts on Mondays... and then each Friday We have a different guest contributor... always a mom... sometimes funny sometimes inspiring and always real. We're glad you're here and we hope you'll stick around... More than anything we want you to know that none of us have it all together... and wether your kids are 40 or 4 you're not alone in your journey through motherhood!