Friday, February 4, 2011

DIY Photography: {How to create memories of your kids in an artistic way}

Alex was born in Lima, Peru. When she was sixteen when she moved to Central Point, Oregon. A few years after graduating high school she met, fell in love with and married her husband. Together they have two very active girls. She is an amazingly creative photographer, and we are excited to have her share her "brilliance" with us!! Make sure to go to her FB page and "like" her! She deserves it!!



I've been having a blast documenting my little ones lives by taking pictures and video taping them. Even though I live to imagine, invent, and create, I have never been a fan of scrap booking. Nothing against it I think it is a great way to preserve pictures and memories. I just have never gotten into it, however I do love to put pictures up on our walls.



In this post I will give you ideas of fun ways to personalize your kids rooms in a way that they will always remember. You can decide what you would like to do for this project, by coming up with an idea that best fits your family.



I have chosen to take a picture of my daughter Jennah and her best pal in the world. Her name is baby. I know it is not very original -- she did name her when she was one, but she loves her so much. She has been in our family since Jennah was born. We do not dare to leave her anywhere because she won't sleep without her; literally! We left her in Seattle once and we did not sleep until grandma overnighted her!!! I have also decided to take a picture of my youngest daughter Isabella and her weiner dog Twinkers, who is her best pal.



For this project you need:

An idea/ vision like the one above

A camera ( it does not need to be a fancy one )

Some sort of editing program such as Photoshop elements, or Picasso ( it is free I believe)

[editors note: EMM's use picnik.com...it's easy for those not too smart :) ]

Frames to hang the pictures in.



Step One

Decide what background you want to use for your picture...be sure to pick and area that has plenty of natural light. I chose my girls playroom because I like the pastel tones in that room.



Step Two

Dress up your little ones or whoever is going to be in the picture. It looks best when all of the colors flow together. I chose to dress my girls in fun, colorful shirts and pink tule skirts. I also made sure that Baby and Twinkers got their bath and looked as good as they could from being loved/abused for as long as they have!



Step Three

Turn off the flash and take a couple of test shots. You may need to turn the flash on if the pictures are not clear. You can use your editing software to make it look more natural and artsy.

Set your subjects up in the planed area, and snap away! (the more you take, the better chance of getting a GREAT one!)



Step Four

Pick your favorite pictures and edit them to taste in the program you like. Always start by fixing the light, sharpening ( not too sharp ) then you can play with the colors, textures or whatever effects you like.



Step Five

Order your prints!!! Yea! ( or print them yourself)

A photo lab will be able to make your pictures look much better than your home printer. I refer all of my clients to Total Camera in Medford where you can get a CD or order the pictures online and pick them up or have them shipped to you. You can even call and ask them to make adjustments to assure the best results. No they are not paying me to advertise ... I just really like the quality. Gena knows what I am taking about ;)



Step Six

Shop for your frames and hang them up :)



Here is my finished product
And here is what my kids thought about it...
No need for words :) Have fun!

{This Week's Giveaway!} 
This week Alex's giveaway is a customized piece of photo-art. One reader will get to choose any object that is special to you and Alex will photograph it and turn it into a work of art for your home!! She's amazing at this and it could really be a fabulous keepsake for your family!!


{How to Win!}
Personalize this project and post the picture on Maria Alexandria Photography facebook page and at Earth Monkeys and we will pick the winner next friday...we know your busy, and this seems like a big deal... but you can do it!! We want to see!! AND... it's a big prize so you're going to have to d a little work... (just submit your pics, you don't have to take a picture of it hanging up or anything:)





{Want Alex to photograph your family?}

Contact her through her website: www.marialexandraphotography.com

or find her on facebook!









1 comments:

Becky and Kevin said...

Such cute girls! This is a great idea - thanks for inspiring me Alex!

Post a Comment