Friday, September 9, 2011

Extreme Makeover Home Edition is here...the journey to Lindsay's new home!

    This could be the most challenging post I have written yet...not because the subject matter is deep, or revealing, but it is that I don't know if it's possible for me to do it justice...



     As most of you know by now, our own Earth Monkey mama, Lindsay and her family we're chosen to receive an Extreme Home Makeover!!! I struggle to even find the words to describe the intense excitement, joy, and amazement that I am feeling about this entire process...it really only pales to the birth and adoption of my children (sorry babe, this is better than our wedding!;) )



     I am hoping today that I can give you a glimpse into the work that is going into the creating, building and fruition of this amazing home! I am going to keep my words few (I know shock hu??) because honestly, I am so tired, and overwhelmed that I feel like my brain is more of a mush ball!



     I'll let Linz tell you at least part of her story of the months previous to this day if she wants someday...but Im going to start at my first glimpse of the EMHE bus! 
 We stalked   I mean, drove by and checked it out on a hunch...It's so stinking cool!
It was crazy to know that it would pull up into someones driveway the next day, and give that family the shock of their lives!  We hoped, and wanted to believe that it was them!!!!


On wed morning, we waited patiently for the bus to show, while Linz and the fam were crammed into waiting patiently in a back bedroom wondering if they were going to be the family running out to "good morning McPail family!!!!!"...well apparently in Hollywood, 15 min. means somewhere between 1 hour and 2...so we waited...and waited...
 then we saw it...our first glimpse was like a mirage, and honestly I was freaking out so much, I don't even know how I got any picture of this part...I think I turned

my camera off 3 times just trying to snap picts!!!
The driveway is long, so I had plenty of time to fumble around a get it coming....
(insert screaming here!!!)
When the bus pulled up to the house.  We couldn't see what was going on, 
but we were freaking out just a little bit...ok for real, Lindsay's mom was crying like a baby
 (I'll be nice and not post  the "ugly cry" picture I took of her!)
So basically, the first day was filled with preparation...dozens of trailers, trucks, tractors, tents, 
and hundreds of workers piling in...
This is Pauly...I'm sure you all know and love him!   He did a great interview with cannel 12 news
It's hard to show the magnitude of what is going on but this is just a little glimpse into some of the people that volunteer their time and work side by side to make this home a reality!  It is unbelievable!
Some of the EMHE crew!!!   I don't know where they find these people, but they are to coolest, craziest, most hardworking people I have ever seen (when Danny is not sleeping under a tree anyway!)  
Oh, I'm just kidding everyone!  No sleeping here!
Even the security guards stand around and eat popsicles all day work their butts off!
I have to say...it is stinking hot!  100 plus...not a great time for our hottest days of the year!
Kara is in red and she is an EMHE designer...she and Yogi (sorry no pict...love him, Ill get one soon)
 do most of the design work in the house.  They are seriously so amazingly talented!!!  
Some of the "hero's on the job..."
Finally got a glimpse of Paige in all of her pink cuteness!  
Those legs are not even airbrushed...good thing she is too sweet to hate! ;)
This view is on top of the channel 12 van...the foundation is being poured, and it's tough to see, 
but there are at the very least, dozens of people working to make it all happen.




I had a chance to walk through the house and take a video and thought a lot about some of the special places in and around the house.  I'm not much of a crier, but I have to admit that as I walked around this empty shell, I was struck by a wave of sadness.  This home is small, it has cracks in the windows, no heat in most of it, a single bathtub that works better for catching frogs in the hole in the wall (one lives in a tank at my house now) than for bathing.  The carpet is impossibly stained, even after almost daily shampooing,  the oven catches on fire (for real!) and the seasonal crickets are enough to make a person feel like Pharaoh in the plague...but there are memories here.  Of my kids running around laughing with hers, of sitting at her computer for hours on end bringing Earth Monkeys  into existence.  Boot camp in the back yard, and scooters in the driveway.  Kids peeing jumping on the trampoline next to the sad attempt at a garden that a couple of years ago we were sure would produce enough for us to can for the winter.  (we forgot that neither one of us gardens or cans...)  Anyway...I know that these are MY memories, and I am talking about this like it is my house, but I guess that is the point...this house was a home and everyone felt welcome.  Sometimes you had to move aside a pile or 10 of laundry to sit and enjoy the coffee and company, or wrap up in a quilt to not freeze your butt off (maybe that was just me?) but it's a place you wanted to be, because of the people.  This is a family filled with love and chaos, but mostly love.  So to the McPails, I am sending you a big thank you for letting me in..letting us all in.

You are deeply loved by many!


This was a chalkboard that she painted on a cupboard (so crafty!) and I had to take a picture today....

I think the irony of the verse is impossible to overlook!


and one more thing...just so you all will stop asking...no I have not seen Ty yet...

but I can't resist still putting up a hunky pict!!! 
 I'll let you know if he is as cute in person...soon! 
If you do not know Cj and Linsay's story yet...
Click here for the link to the story that was done by EMHE..its worth a minute to read!!!


And one more thing...Cj and Linz are gone on their crazy cool EMHE vacation and will not be seeing any picts or blogs or FB posts.  They are cut off from all communication! ;)


Welcome to everyone new to Earth Monkeys..please "follow" us and "share" us!  
We appreciate you all!!!


   

10 comments:

Becky said...

Thank you so much for sharing! This is so precious... what a special group of people you all are. Love to you all, your sister in Christ, Becky

Kriste said...

I got tears in my eyes reading this!!!!

Jennie Smith said...

This is so exciting! I started reading EMM sometime last year through Jami Ronda's blog. I lived in Medford for a couple of years back in the 90's, so in a weird way, reading EMM is like a trip "back home". Even though I don't really "know" Lindsay, I am ecstatic that they were chosen!!! I've read enough to know she and her family are jewels and truly deserve this honor.
Last year was a rough year for our family, and I was greatly encouraged by a few of Lindsay's posts on trusting God through hard times, and accepting where God has you. It's neat to see the other side of the story and see God's BLESSING on this family in the gift of a new house!! Thanks for sharing behind-the-scenes!

Angela said...

So exciting to see this happening for Lindsay and in my own hometown! If we lived there still I'd get all my kiddos out there working! Hugs you all! We are excited to watch the progress!

Lindsay...You are an inspiration!

Roo said...

Yay Gina! What an awesome post. I got tears in my eyes looking at the pictures of the Extreme Makeover Home Edition bus coming up the driveway. What a feeling it must have been to be there in person. Congratulations McPhail family! Can't wait to watch it all on TV...

Meredith said...

Thanks so much for this post Gena. I don't know Lindsay personally, but from what I can tell, this couldn't have happened to a sweeter family :)

My daughter and I rode the bus up to the site today, and it was just so incredible to watch this community in action caring for one of their own--the generosity just ABOUNDS.

PS- Thanks for all your hard work with the Earth Monkeys silent auction on Facebook...again, INCREDIBLE!

Teri Smith said...

No family deserves this more. Trials and hardships that have been lived gracefully while they continue to meet the needs of others. Congratulations to all 5 of the McPhails, this gift will bless their lives in huge ways, but knowing CJ and Linz they will turn it into something that will bless others for years and years to come. <3<3

Fiona said...

This just makes me so happy. God is so good and SO faithful. I love how He takes care of the details in our lives.

Christina Hartwell said...

Gena,

How beautiful and if I may share something that has struck me so deeply about this - I met Lindsay on my first and what would be many mission trips with them to Mexico. They were just dating at the time and I remember loving her instantly - what I loved so much was her authenticity, her heart and the humble way in which she approached life.
I knew very little about what we would be doing and honestly did not carry a passion in my heart for leaving the country for Mission work - this was my husbands dream and I hesitantly joined him. What I didn't know is how God would transform my heart in ways that I never thought possible and He would show me His mighty provision for those that wait upon Him and His perfect timing...on this particular trip we going down there to build a house for a family in need.

I remember telling the kids in our van that this family had been praying,trusting and waiting on God to fulfill their needs, their simple desire to protect their children by providing clean dry shelter, and at that moment they must be in awe of His provision. As we caravaned down I-5 I was struck by the mighty ways in which God moves and how their hearts must be overwhelmed that God would orchestrate a team of adults and teens from Medford Oregon to build them a home (many of whom are volunteering on this build).

Seeing your photos and hearing your heart I am in awe of His ways....who would have known that some day God would be preparing His people to provide for CJ and Lindsay the very thing that they had given many families not so long ago.

The big bus pulling up, reminded me in so many ways of the dusty roads that our vans took as we came to the families home for the first time, and as we pulled up - children chasing us with huge smiles on their faces - they knew what we were there to do.

Again, thank you for sharing and although many years have passed - their hearts have never changed, and the people they have so humbly blessed have only multiplied.

Christina

Therese said...

I know Lindsay mostly from online, once from meeting her at a gathering. Today as I volunteered on the build site I was able to walk through the house in all its unfinished and rough splendor. Kara told me that a lot of thought went into the design to meet the current and future needs of the family. I shared that our community is endlessly thankful that CJ and Lindsay are the recipients of such a gift. The staff know that by doing this, the entire community will benefit... and that is why they were chosen. I'm very humbled to be part of this and thankful.

Post a Comment