Monday, December 27, 2010

To quote a famous author (ok so it was just a facebook friend)...TGIO!!!! Thank Goodness It's Over!!(thanks Leslie)

     As I sat in the middle of our living room floor yesterday, surrounded by crazy amounts of Christmas clutter, I looked down at my poor, tired hands, and as I did, I couldn't help but laugh...not a laugh like "ha, ha, ha" but a laugh like "hu, hu, hu".  Around two of my fingers I had strategically placed bandaids that were being used to cover some pretty intense war wounds, (and this is where I am going to leave out the part about the blister on my palm from pealing 10lbs of potatoes...ya really).  Ok so back to the bandaids...they were actually there to conceal gouges I got after battling that stupid plastic stuff inside of the boxes that my kids new Christmas toys were in!  You know the stuff!!  It's too difficult to cut it with scissors, and just a bit too sharp to tear with your hands...hence, the bandaids!  

     I spent  almost a full 12 hours yesterday just trying to get all of the "stuff" that we lugged home from our families Christmas gift exchanges, put away and organized of course... needless to say that my day was spent in much frustration.  Now before you get all "oh poor thing, they got too much stuff" on me...I asked everyone to do VERY little for my kids, and nothing for me (except a coffee maker!!! girls got to have something!)...that being said...it was still a mess.  It did get me to thinking though that as much as I love Christmas and all that it brings, I started to wonder if all of your "days after" were just as frustrating.  Misery loves company right???  So I had to ask "what is the most frustrating thing about the day after Christmas?"  And now, I'm going to share... 



"Clutter! I now have to buy things to put the things we bought in!!"

(I love the thought of Kim out buying plastic storage bins to store all of her new stuff!!)





"mind numbing exhaustion..... I have lost it twice today with my fam... at least we made it through Christmas Day without a visit from "mommy dearest"

(this is from our own EM Lindsay, couldn't leave her out...really only twice??? Hmmmmm)





"the constant clutter of new toys everywhere...even after you pick it up a hundred times."

(oh sweet Stacey...is this really any different than any other day, oh I see, the toys are NEW!!!  How many more days till those kids go back to school??)





"packaging, toys, left over desserts, decorations that need to be taken down....a bit overwhelming, very very tired. today we had a second christmas with my husband's family...I think I'm Christmased out!"

(Amy...to that second Christmas...just say NO!!!)





 And the winner of the BUOAMTT award for "best use of a meteorologist term today"...Mindy and Callee tie for their brilliant use of  "tornado" when describing their homes!!!





We wont be taking away Patricias MOTY award for this...but I think she may be the only one that could tell this story..."Using the auto clean on the oven, only to start a fire, turn it off but can't open the door until it cools. Teenager waking up saying something smells here. Now not only the the cleanup of all the celebrations but the "de-stink" of the house"





"All the Christmas decorating still being up. I've been known to take them down Christmas night...lol"

(Um...Stepanie....are you SURE you are related to Lindsay???)





"Food hangover and hating yourself for how OUT OF CONTROL you were with your eating!!!"

(Thanks for being honest Leigh...and I think I'll throw Renee's "ugh" in there that she used to describe how here jeans are now fitting!  Guess it makes setting a New Years Resolution just that much easier!!)





Katie nailed this one..."Too much trash and not enough room in the trash cans!!!"

...I can't pass on mentioning the irony of this one...I just had to let the dog out, and after he did not return in a timely manner I went to check, and found him rooting around in the overflowed trash bag that was left laying on the garage floor!!! ARG!!





And even though I had a bunch more I would love to mention, I thought I would end on this one from Rebecca...

"Knowing that the anticipation of Christmas is over and now have to wait 364 more days for that day again. And that I can no longer listen to Christmas music."





...I have to be honest here for a second and say that when I first read this (don't hate me Rebecca) I think I threw up a bit in my mouth from all the sweetness!!!  But then as I looked over at my beautiful tree still lit in all it's glory, ornament-less on the bottom (thanks to my 2 yr old) and covered in random drawings and stuffed animals (thanks to my 5 yr old) I got just a tinge of sadness that I will be unplugging it for a final time in about 2 weeks when I can finally get around to it! (sarcasm!) And you know what?  I realize that I love more than anything to be in a store when the words to the music are "Christ the Savior is born" and not "I kissed a girl and I liked it" (REALLY??)....I love driving around with my kids  in constant amazement of the gorgeous lights!    I love that my husband and mom gave gifts to others in need "in our names", and that our church feeds hundreds of people in our community Christmas day...I will miss my daughter with her daily countdown, and the bantering and sneaky remarks my husband and I have been tossing around about Santa (he's a lover, I'm the hater).   I will miss being able to justify cookies and wine I mean fudge, I will miss our stockings hanging on the wall, but mostly I will miss the people that choose to smile through the chaos and say "Merry Christmas"!!!





So to Rebecca and the rest of us, I say, keep the Christmas music playing, keep greeting each other (even if its with a "Happy Lunar Eclipse") and keep up the spirit of giving...We need each other all year long!!





We do still want to hear about your "day after' madness...so please leave a comment below!

And please keep sharing us will all of your friends!!!





And one more thing...tune in Friday when Lindsay and I give our best "how to survive New Years Eve" advice!!!







2 comments:

thehefleys.com said...

I was just about to go on Facebook and write the following status when I saw your blog. hehe. Status: "I don't even know which end to start cleaning my house. It's a mess!"

I Saw a Squirrel said...

Great post Gena.
It seems no matter how hard we try to keep it simple and spiritually focused, it still runs out of control. For me it is day 2 on the couch with a cold that thankfully waited until Christmas night to punch me hard enough to knock me down. But it is now in my captivity, with the busy-ness all done, that I am loving the tree, the decorations, and the fireplace. Husband's law makes it blasphemous to put it all away before New Years Day. If not for getting sick I would have breezed right through without appreciating the simple pleasures. I'm afraid busy-ness will forever be MY curse, both pre and post Christmas.

Post a Comment