Friday, May 27, 2011

{Ahhh Innocence} ... remember that??




photo by:www.klikphotographic.com


Roo… is a former stockbroker who hung up her trading shoes when her daughter was six months in her belly. She started Oops! Sheet to fulfill her dream of being able to be home to raise her daughter. When asked when the next child will be coming along, she likes to joke that “she got it right the first time!”   




“Want to do a Guest Post on our Blog?” Lindsay asks. “Sure,” is my response. “Something light and fun,” says Linz. Sounds easy enough. But for two weeks I have started writing, just to stop and think, “No. There is nothing funny about that.” I have easily a dozen starts to this light and fun Guest Post for the fabulous Earth Monkeys Moms Blog. A blog that always makes me laugh out loud. And I’ve got nothing. Nothing at all to contribute.



Could it be that we are not fun, in my household? What is “fun” anyways? Let’s see what Google says. According to Wikipedia, “Fun is the enjoyment of pleasure.” Well, that sounds like something that happens all the time in our house! Perhaps I just needed to think harder. Fun, funny… Then it came to me: 




{Naked Kids }




It all began innocently enough. My six year old daughter loves to hang out with the four year old boy from across the street. She loves forests, bugs, and digging in the dirt. Boys do too. So the little boy across the street and my daughter get along like two peas in a pod.



The other day my daughter wanted to play in the back forest with her buddy from across the street. I opened the back gate for them and they ran happily into the forest in search of dinosaur bones and spots to dig to China. Oh, and did I mention they both happened to be in their bathing suits? Now normally that isn’t trouble when we’re talking about a six year old girl and a four year old boy…



Every few minutes I’d peek over the fence to see that all was well. And it was. For a while. During a routine peek over the fence, I could see WAY too much of my child’s skin. Sure enough she’s standing there, naked as the day she was born. With her bathing suit in her hand. The little boy from across the street is still wearing his bathing suit. Both were just chatting as though there were nothing unusual going on.



Not wanting to cause alarm, I very much needed to hear exactly how she came to be standing naked in the forest with the boy from across the street, bathing suit in hand. I told her there was something in her hair and to quickly come into our house with me. Streaking across the yard, in plain view of the entire neighbourhood, she runs into our house.



{Me} “Sweetie, why is your bathing suit in your hand?”



{My Child} “What’s in my hair, Mom?”



{Me} “Nothing is in your hair, I just wanted to find out why you are naked.”



{My Child} “Oh. My bathing suit got stuck on the blackberry bushes. I couldn’t get it unstuck so I took it off.”



Bless their innocent little hearts! The little boy from across the street had been standing side by side with my naked child while they both tugged her bathing suit off the blackberry bushes… There was a reason I found the kids chatting as though there was nothing unusual going on - that’s because there wasn’t anything going on! He was just trying to help her out and neither one of them thought naked was a big deal.



Childhood is such an innocent yet hilarious time… anyone else catch their kids in crazy situations? Situations that appear bad at first glance but turn out to be just fine?



After spending two weeks trying to find something light and funny to write about, I’ve taken it as a sign that I need to learn to look harder for the light and funny things in life. I think there is a lesson to be learned here and the best way to learn that lesson is to start a blog for Oops! Sheet. Stay tuned! One Oops! Sheet Blog coming right up… in two weeks… or so…



Roo is the mastermind and CEO of {Oop Sheet}. She's put an amazing twist on a plastic sheet. It doesn't crinkle and it isn't loud... it's actually soft ~AND~ still saves the mattress. Like Oops Sheet  on facebook and check out their site at: www.oopssheet.com