Monday, May 23, 2011

Maybe the end of the world didn't happen, but my world still changed.

     Anyone miss the big topic this last week...."the end of the world".  Just in case your FB friends were focused on joking about something else and you missed it,  it was predicted that the end was 5/20/11  at 6:00.  As we all know, it didn't happen. (Not to  lose anyone here but I must say that I do think that it will happen but no one knows when, and no one will know)...anyway...

     I don't really know much about the guy that came up with that prediction, and I didn't believe his theory personally but I do have to admit  to waking up that morning with a little different feeling heading into what could have been our last day here on this earth.  I was a bit happier to see my kids (at 6:00 AM), and I tried to smile at my husband even before my coffee took full affect.  You see, I woke up thinking "what if this is our last day here? What would I want this day to be like?  It's not the first time I have thought that, and I  know I'm not the first one to wonder those things.  We have all lost a loved one, or heard someone else predict a certain day as being the "end day", you may have even had a near death kind of situation yourself, and those events always prompt that kind of a question.   This time for some reason, it just really hit me.

      I am busy.  Too busy.  I am impatient.  I always have to get home to do something "really important" when my kids just want to go to the park.  I get tired.  Very tired.  I complain about things like dishes in the sink, a never ending pile of laundry, and shoes that seam to think their home is the living room floor.  I turn away from conversations, to do a really quick thing on the computer (I justify it as work!)  It's easy for  me to put my kids in front of the T.V. so I can get dinner made in peace (right).  I like to send them outside to play so mommy can "finally get things picked up".

     Well on may 20th, I thought, if I am leaving this planet today, I am not leaving behind a clean house for the person that moves in and takes it over when I'm gone.  So I spent the day simply being mom.  I sat and looked at things from Mr. destructo's perspective...ants really are amazing, and cars are kinda fun to race, he is hilarious...I listened to my  princess tell me amazing stories, and snuggle just for the love of it.  She looks at detail like no one I've ever known.  She is beautiful.  My husband is so handsome when he smiles.  He is strong and funny and smart, when I take the time to notice.  I miss my family when I am so busy trying to make our world perfect.  What I realized is that me not trying, is what makes our world "perfect".

Funny how a crazy man telling us that it is our last day here is what made me slow down and just be.  In reality, my world could end today, I have no way of knowing...so how do I want to spend it?  I've asked myself this before, but I want to live this question, because I don't know when my last day will be.

     In reality, I do have to get things done.  I do have to make dinner and do laundry, but do I have to obsess about these things, or can I just chill so my family can have a mom and wife that takes time for them?  This is what I want, to live so that I don't miss out on them and our life together.  And so this is how I will live today, like THEY are the most important thing in my world.  Because they are.



So today I'm wondering if last weeks prediction made anyone else out there think...Did you spend that day any different?? Or If today was your last day here, How do you want to spend it?  

Comment below...we want to know what you think.



And make sure to share us with your friends!  We all need each other on this crazy journey!