Wednesday, November 3, 2010

ahhh country life…. not that I’m complaining

Anyone who lives in the country knows there are certain precautions you take like never putting on a shoes before you knock it upside down to get any potential spiders out… always do a bed check before you get in to make sure there are no crickets, beetles or earwigs… taking a jar to the shower to catch the frogs and remove them before you get in…oh wait is that just my house(??) and NEVERwalk outside barefoot in the morning (well at least in Oregon) unless you are watching out for slugs…. there’s really almost nothing worse than stepping on a slug with bare feet before you’ve had your coffee in the morning.
The other night when I was vacuuming up like 75 crickets that were migrating in under the front door I was totally DONE. I started ranting (in my head because it was like 1 am) I decided I was done with this house and the bugs and the frogs and the snakes and slugs… done. done. done!! I started remembering the nice new houses we’ve lived in in the past and how I didn’t appreciate them at the time.
It wasn’t until the next morning that I remembered it was only a year ago we lived with my parents and didn’t even have a place of our own. A year ago I prayed that God would provide a way for us to get into this house because I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it and fix it up. Now six months in to living here I have forgotten all of that and am already back to complaining. I honestly think it’s just human nature, but I don’t want it to be my nature anymore… I don’t want to be bratty and ungrateful when God has pulled us out of our darkest time in life and provided us with a perfect home to house our less than perfect family. So again I have to put on my big girl undies, suck it up and stop my complaining when things get a little tough. Focusing on how we have been blessed is the only way I know how to do this.
       
The other night was actually amazing… the temperature was perfect the boys were all happy and we just laid on the trampoline and tried to find shapes in the clouds. That of course turned into wrestling which was fun too until thatcher announced that he had made a pee river that had flowed to the center of the trampoline and made it’s way to me… even with the pee river though, it was a magical evening. So every times a snake slithers over my foot, or I have to vacuum up a small colony of any insects in the entry way…instead of swearing under my breath, I am going to focus on the magical moments this property has provided for us, how my boys love the horses in the field next to us and how blessed we are to live 200 yards from my parents who my children adore. 
PS don’t mind the messy spaghetti faces in the pictures… we don’t wash until absolutely necessary:):)