Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My “fourth” reality check…



 Just to forewarn you…I am not feelingparticularly creative or funny, just moved!! 

I had a really great Fourth of July.  I spent the morning with my family and friends at a fun local parade, and not only laughed and cheered at the participants but I got an even bigger kick out of watching the hordes of crazy spectators.  I even enjoyed some alone time when my son decided to take his nap just as we were leaving for an annual party that some great friends host.  Hunter and I finally made it to the event and even though my time was basically consumed with feeding my kids and keeping Hunter away from the pool and out of the basketball court, it was still a great time. 
The highlight of our fourth always comes at 10:00 when the brave men in our group light up the fireworks, and these aren’t just any fireworks mind you; these would almost make Walt Disney jealous!  (And that is only a slight exaggeration)  They are amazing!  I was totally moved as the, colorful lights exploded in the sky and Lee Greenwood sang in the background “proud to be an American…”  I looked over at my daughter and husband and as I saw their faces light up in the glow of the fireworks it hit me…I haven’t taken one moment to even think about the people fighting right now for freedom in this world! 
You know what struck me even more?  I was brought back to this woman that I met through my daughters dance class whose husband was in the military serving over seas.  I began to think about the magnitude of her sacrifice!  She showed up every Saturday alone, watched her daughter, alone, and went home, alone!  She counted down the days until he came home, and I almost cried as he watched his daughter dance this one time, he was home for only one week.  
I spent (I hate to admit it) part of today day a bit irritated at my husband for minor things and I realized as I looked at him, that there are thousands of women right at this moment who would give anything to have their husband safe beside them, just like me.  For my selfishness, I am sorry.  For the soldiers and their wives, for the mothers serving away from their children… I am lacking words. Thank you could never suffice.  I am committing to thinking about and praying for families that are affected by war…And especially for the women and children sacrificing their husbands and daddies, my heart goes out to you and I truly thank you for your unimaginable sacrifice.