Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Complicator…





  
                        

It was over 90 outside the other day and my son Thatcher was out playing on his new slip and slide. He refused to drink water from his cup because he wanted to drink out of the “sprinklerest” attachment to the slide instead. He did this for over a half hour before he gave up and came in to get a drink.
It occurred to me that I do the same thing in almost ever aspect of my life…I complicate things that don’t need to be complicated. If Kyra Sedgwick is “The Closer” … I am “The Complicator”… and a very dramatic complicator at that.
That same night I got done mowing the lawn at like 9:30 - yes it was dark(complicated) - My husband went in to check on the boys and realized that Sawyer wasn’t in his bed. We ran around the house inside and out calling for him. I was terrified wondering how he could have gotten past me. I immediately thought of the pack of cyotes that surrounds our house nightly and FRA-HEAKED out. (drama) I ran the 200 yards down the hill to my moms, screaming frantically…”MOM!! MOM!!! Sawyer’s gone, Sawyer’s gone.” Being a little bit of a dramatic complicator herself she joined my hysteria and we headed back up the trail to my house screaming all the way. Half way up the trail I heard CJ (my husband) yelling that he had found Sawyer in our bed asleep.  Ahh woops … apprarently when I looked in my room I thought the lump in my bed was part of the laundry, books and lord only knows what else that was already on my bed that night. (dramatically complicated!)
My husband rolled his eyes, turned around and walked back inside like he always does when I create chaos out of nothing. And I started thinking…WHY AM I LIKE THIS??…why is every part of my life so flippen complicated?? I’ll tell you why…I have TOO MUCH STUFF!!! Seriously, I know I’m prone to drama, but my house doesn’t always have to be messy. There doesn’t always have to be 5 loads of clean/dirty laundry in baskets on my couch. I don’t always have to be 20-30 minutes late for EVERYTHING!! I’m telling you STUFF is the culprit. I like to pull the “I have two kids with special needs” card as my excuse… but honestly, if we didn’t have triple the toys, triple the clothes, triple the pretzels that just end up ground into my carpet anyway…my life would be much much simpler!!
So here’s what I’m going to do…I’m going to go through every cupboard, every drawer and every closet and get rid of what we don’t need, and is just plain excess.  Do it with me if you’re brave enough…because being “The Complicator” … life is chaotic and dramatic enough.