Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dear Laundry…I HATE YOU!





  
Ok, so I’m sure anyone who is friends with Earth Monkeys on Facebook is super sick of hearing me whine about my kids dumping buckets of nasty out of both ends for over a week now…but seriously it’s been HELL…H-E-L-L. I just wander around in a daze with a clorox bottle in one hand and poopy diapers in the other. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve been puked and projectile pooped on in the past 8 days. At one point I ran in the bathroom to help Sawyer and found him throwing up on the floor… inches from the toilet!!! Ahhh….I felt bad for him, but I have to admit I felt a little worse for me as I watched it flow under the washer and dryer. Well I should probably move on before you get grossed out and stop reading…I promise I have an actual point today.
What goes better with the stomach flu than laundry… I’m pretty sure I have washed every blanket we own thee times already this week… Praise the Lord my hunka hunka burnin man love has helped me fold most of it already because I would seriously need to be institutionalized at this point if he hadn’t… Yep I said most of it has already been folded and put away…. you wouldn’t know by the gargantuous pile in the picture… but that’s all that’s left…I just didn’t have time to get to it yesterday because I was busy digging through every trash bag in our garbage can looking for my car keys that Crew threw away… don’t worry I found them in the very, very, stinky bottom.
Anyhew, since I never seem to leave you with any great “how to’s” or morsels of actual useful information, I thought I would change things up today and share a recipe for homemade laundry detergent I stole off of another blog… I think pioneer woman… my cousin actually stole it so I’m not sure. Anyway, it cost like a few pennies per load and I have been using it for over a year…so don’t say I never gave you anything:)…
Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha or other type of soap, as listed above
½ cup washing soda
½ cup borax powder 
~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~
Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. 
Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. 
Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. 
Remove from heat. 
Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.  
Now add your soap mixture and stir. 
Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. 
Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. 
You use ½ cup per load.